WHO WE ARE
World Piano Teachers Association USA-Missouri was founded on 4/27/2020 as a part of the World Piano Teachers Association, a member of Alink-Argerich Foundation. Kyu Butler, NCTM was inaugurated as the first President and Artistic Director of WPTA USA-Missouri. Tugce Tari-Roth was appointed as the Assistant Director of the Amateur Piano Competition.
WPTA USA-Missouri was founded to support young professionals, students and piano communities. WPTA USA-Missouri provides opportunities to perform at concert series for all levels of piano players including amateurs, young students, and professionals. Please contact Kyu Butler to join the concert series.
All WPTA USA-Missouri concerts are available on YouTube.
Headquarter: World Piano Teachers Association (click here)
Master Class Series 6
Pianist Hieyon Choi
8/27 9am US Central
World Piano Teachers Association USA-Missouri hosts a master class with pianist Hieyon Choi. The master class will be on 8/27 9am CST via Zoom and the application fee is $100 (non-refundable)
1. Due date and Eligibility
Applications are due 8/13 with a YouTube video link of the audition performance (unlisted). 7th grade to doctoral students are eligible to apply.
The piece to be performed at the master class should be the same as that provided with the application video. Once submitted, students are not allowed changing their repertoire for the master class.
The video should be recorded within the last 4 months. For fairness of the audition process, please do not show the students' or teachers' name on YouTube channel. It has to be anonymous; videos showing names will be disqualified.
If accepted, each student will have a 30 min slot for the master class. Please select your piece accordingly. One movement from a larger work is acceptable. Students' own compositions are not acceptable.
AMATEUR PIANO COMPETITION
World Piano Teachers Association USA-Missouri hosts the third Amateur Piano Competition online edition. The purpose of the competition is
1. To support Classical music communities and piano lovers and
2. To provide a positive goal for aspiring artists.
1. Applicants must be aged 25 or over on 12/01/2022.
2. Applicants may not teach, perform, or compose music professionally and financially.
3. Non-Missouri residents are welcome to participate.
1. Application along with a performance video link deadline is 12/01/2022.
2. Application fee: Outstanding-$80, Promising-$60. Application fee is non-refundable
3. There are two categories: Outstanding Amateurs and Promising Amateurs.
Promising: Non-competitive category
Outstanding: Competitive category
*Rules and Regulations
1. The competition is one round of a video submitted on YouTube. (unlisted)
2. The video should be at least 10min. but not exceed 30 min. in length, and include at least two contrasting styles and periods of music. Competitors can record and post each piece separately on YouTube.
3. Memorization is not required.
4. Repeats should not be observed except D.C. al Fine.
5. Applicants own compositions, Popular music, Jazz, Broadway show music are not acceptable.
6. Selected videos from applicants will be posted on WPTA USA-Missouri YouTube.
7. The competition is anonymous to the judges. Applicants showing their names or their teacher's names in their performance videos or YouTube channels will be disqualified.
8. Individual movements of larger works will be accepted but must be performed in their entirety.
9. No keyboards or digital pianos are acceptable for recordings.
10. Jury's decision is final.
11. The results will be announced on 12/20/2022 on WPTA USA-Missouri homepage.
12. WPTA USA-Missouri reserves the right to make any changes if circumstances dictate.
13. The 1st prize winners of 2020 and 2021 are not eligible to apply this year.
14. All competition participants will be invited and perform at online master classes for free of charge in spring 2023.
Awards will comprise of:
1. Gold Medal - certificate and an invitation to WPTA USA-Missouri's other events to perform or submit performance videos.
2. Silver Medal - certificate
3. Bronze Medal - certificate
4. Promising - application video will be posted for watch party (all promising category contestants will receive judge's comments)
All participants will receive an admission waiver for WPTA USA-Missouri Master Class Series for one year.
Please feel free to contact Kyu Butler, WptaUsaMissouri@gmail.com for any questions.